What are they?
Multifocal lenses are a convenient solution for people who are both nearsighted and farsighted, meaning they struggle to see things up close and far away.
Multifocals allow you to view at a variety of distances without the hassle of constantly switching between your reading glasses and distance glasses. With multifocals, you have everything you need in one pair! You can read a book, watch tv and go for a drive, all with one pair of glasses.
Get the best of both worlds with our range of multifocal lenses, customised to your needs.
How do they work?
Our multifocal lenses give you the ability of clear vision at three different distances. They work by combining your distance and reading prescriptions, allowing you to view with clarity, up-close and far away.
Multifocal glasses are designed with a seamless transition between prescriptions which is different to bifocals where the lens is broken up into separate segments.
Adjusting to the new distances around you may take time to get used to, from a few days to a couple of weeks.
Multifocal Lens Types
Your lifestyle, prescription and needs can determine the right pair of multifocal lenses for you.
At every New Zealand Oscar Wylee store, we offer three different types of multifocal lenses to choose from at an additional cost on top of your Standard Optical Glasses selection.
- Some degree of soft focus at the edge of your vision
- Good for occasional glasses use
- Ideal for those on a budget
1 pair with Standard Multifocal
+ $ 0
2 pairs with Standard Multifocal
+ $ 150
3 pairs with Standard Multifocal
+ $ 100
- Wider field of clear vision
- Ideal for those who wear glasses in the office, especially for computer work
- Easier adjustment than standard multifocal lenses
1 pair with Premium Multifocal
+ $ 150
2 pairs with Premium Multifocal
+ $ 250
3 pairs with Premium Multifocal
+ $ 200
- Very wide field of clear vision
- All-rounder lens for modern lifestyle demands, and a lot of computer work
- Provides more natural and comfortable vision
1 pair with Elite Multifocal
+ $ 250
2 pairs with Elite Multifocal
+ $ 350
3 pairs with Elite Multifocal
+ $ 300
Tips for wearing multifocal glasses
Adjusting to a new pair of glasses can be difficult, especially if this is your first experience with multifocals. But there are some helpful tips that can make it easier to settle into your new glasses.
- Wear your new glasses as much as possible as this encourages your eyes to adapt quicker to your new lenses.
- Try not to wear your old glasses. This can affect the progress you’ve made with your multifocals.
- It may seem obvious, but move your head when looking around, not just your eyes. Try pointing your nose to where you want to see as the centre of a multifocal lens is the clearest.
- If you find it difficult to wear them initially, try wearing your new glasses in a comfortable and familiar environment such as at home to build confidence.
- If after 1-2 weeks of wearing your multifocals, you are still struggling to adjust, visit a New Zealand Oscar Wylee near you and our friendly staff can help figure out the issue.